Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing Hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielLee

Technical User
Jan 26, 2002
MX
Hi,
I just changed my mother board to a PV4MM2 with a Pentium 4 1.6 GHz CPU. I am concerned that my Maxtor 91303D6 13 Gig UDMA 33 Hard drive is going to go out on me next and was thinking of replacing it completely or maybe using it as a second hard drive.

Should I buy the another Maxtor 91303D6 or get something faster? I don’t really need more space I’m just curious if it is fast enough for what I am now running.

Any assistance appreciated.

Daniel
"Five minutes at a time"

I would first find out the manufacturer and model of your motherboard. Then see what interfaces it supports (ATA/66 or ATA/100). Chances are that it will support up to ATA/66 or even ATA/100. I would buy a 7200RPM hard drive that is compatible with ATA/100. Even if your mobo can only run up to ATA/66, the hard drive will default to that standard.

Maxtor, Seagate, and IBM hard drives are pretty durable. Check out the latest and greatest prices at
~cdogg

I think you should buy whats available today, which means ata 100, the cost for buying a larger faster up to date drive will be about the same or a little more than for the older drive you are trying to replace (if you can find it). As cdogg stated most if not all drives will default to the standard that your mobo can handle. You can also buy an ata 66 card for about $10-20, an ata 100 card for about $25-45 to improve performance and take advantage of the faster drive. If you just want a replacement and don't care about speed then get a 5400 rpm drive which will still be faster then what you currently have, I've seen some Maxtor 20gig for about $50 and 40gig for about $65.

Good Luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back