Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing G3 HD, reinstall 10.3 fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiff811

MIS
Apr 21, 2004
US
A G3 needs to have its HD replaced with a larger one.

It currently is using a 20 gig HD. I want to upgrade it to a Western Digital SE 80gig drive.

I have formatted the drive in disk utility to be two partitions
1st partition is 7.7 gigs
2nd partition is 70 gigs

When I try and install 10.3 it fails during install and tells me install ended on errors and to try the install again.

On second OS install try I go into disk utility and verify disk. Both partitions come back with (-9972) error. Repairing disk fixes errors. I have replaced the drive with one of exact same specs. It also fails the same way. Tried both jumper settings Master and CS.

What am I doing wrong? Is the G3 not compatible with large HD or are 10.3 not compatible with my drive? (At one time same computer had a 60 gig drive in it)

You do know the Beige G3 is unsupported in 10.3 and only the Blue and White G3 is a supported Platform in 10.3?

If this is your difficulty, you may wish to look for X Post Facto, a third party installer.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

yes its BLue & white G3. It has been running 10.3 in it for over 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back