Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing Drives In An Equallogic PS100 SAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

detroit

MIS
Sep 13, 2002
CA
Hello to all!

I have a Equallogic PS 100 San that has 250 gig Sata Drives in it (Western Digital WD2500YS).

I can purchase WD Drives (1 TB, WD # WD1002FBYS) which have the same specs as the above drive, but 4 times the storage.

Equallogic says that if you put in different drives, they will not work (And will void the maintenance, which doesn't really bother me...).

I have put this drive in as a spare and it is seen as a 931 gig hot spare.

Question

Has anyone else ever done this successfully? Change all the physical drives without buying all new drives from dell/equallogic?

Thanks

Detroit

It may work, and it may only look like it works to fail later. Who can say for sure? Because we put critical data on our SANs, we avoid unsupported configurations like the plague. Who's to say that there isn't a bit of Equallogic code that requires a specific drive firmware revision, or vice versa?

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back