Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing BDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SorryDog777

Programmer
Jun 26, 2003
US
I'm in the process of replacing our aging BDC with a newer server. Here's what I would like to do:

I recently replaced a new server (stand along) for our company's database system.

This leaves the old database server (stand along also) which I can use for replacing our old BDC, which has been in service for the past 6 years, so I will take the old BDC out of the domain and out of service. The problem is, the new server (old database server) is stand along and a member of the domain. Are they any way to promote it to a BDC without re-installing the operating system?

If re-installing the os, will the install pick up the existing drivers and service pack already installed on the server?

Also, if I have to re-install the os, can I install over the existing os (same folder)?

I did a search and seen some mention about a program called "upromote" and downloaded the demo. Will the demo version function enough to perfrom the task I want?

Any way to get out of re-installing all the drivers and service packs again?

All servers are NT4 with SP6.

Any suggesgion or ideas you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back