Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing an old DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottew

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2003
US
I have 2 DC's (DC1 & DC2) in our main office. DC2 is a very old server which I will be replacing soon. I would like to keep the same name and IP address on the new server.

DC1 currently holds all the FSMO roles. So I was thinking I would could just dcpromo DC2 to demote it to a member server. Shut it down, then bring up the new server, rename it DC2, change the IP address and dcpromo to promote it to a DC.

Just wondering if anyone thinks there would be a problem with that plan.

Thanks
Scott

The problem with doing that is you end up with a domain with only a single DC during the migration. You can rename domain controllers after they've been promo'd. That would be my suggestion. Bring it up as DC3, follow my FAQ:
faq1674-7371

then rename the DC and change the IP afterwards.

I should add those steps to the FAQ.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com Swag? I've got mine!

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

I have also used a virtual machine as a temporary domain controller while i went through the process. DCPromo a virtual machine call it DCtemp or whatever. Do all the tests to make sure its running and replicating and all that. Now you have a backup DC online so you can demote and take down the old dc thats being replaced. Let everything replicate and settle down then dcpromo the new dc with the name you want it to have. Then you dont have to worry about renaming it. At this point you'll have three dcs online in case something goes wrong. The virtual machine dc can then be demoted at your liesure whenever you're sure everything is up and replicating.

I'll be honest, I've never understood why people are so reluctant to change the names/IP addresses when adding a new DC. Why the obsession with recycling the name/IP?

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Yeah, me neither. The only thing I've ever come across is an org crazy enough to use the DC as a file and/or print server, where drive and/or printer mappings are hard coded. Crazy, if you ask me. But I've seen people do it.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com Swag? I've got mine!

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

Thank you for all of your responses.

I'm not really reluctant to change the name/ip. Most of the time I can do things my way, but once in a while my superior throws in his two cents and it is not worth the argument.

Thanks,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back