Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing a Windows 2000 domain controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

lengoo

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2002
GH
Hi All,
We have ordered a new server to replace the existing Windows 2000 domain controller.. I was want to pass over our proposed plan of action through the experts here just in case I'm missing something or if it wont work..
The plan is to replace Server1 completely.. it is the main file system and print server at the mo.. I have also another couple of domain controllers in the domain.

Here's the plan of action:
1. In sites and services, I've made another domain controller hold the GC.
2. I plan to copy all the files from Server1 to the new one, ServerNew and all the applications and have them installed the same way on the same drives etc.
3. Then I will promote ServerNew and demote Server1.. I will also switch off Server1.
4. Once Server1 has been switched off, we will then rename ServerNew to that of Server1..

And presto.. I hope this works!

I want all hyperlinks to work as before since the file paths should be the same.. eg \\Server1\files\test.doc should still work as the new server has the file path.
THe printers should still work as I'll be transferring all the printers to the new server with the same name.
Also, all network applications should work... etc

My only concern is whether there will be any special things which utilise say MAC addresses or anything else. Also, by renaming the new server the old servers address.. is that enough to 'fool' the other domain controllers and desktops into thinking it's just as it was before or are there some stuff to do with SIDs of things similar in that respect.

Many thanks

also before you turn off the old server you should move AD control over to one of the other servers. you do the in AD user and computers. Right click the domain and select operations Masters.
I've never renamed a DC before but as far as your hyperlinks go renaming should be fine.

This won't work. You cannot promo a DC with one name then rename it, change it's IP and expect it to work as a DC. You will have problems and errors everywhere. You can copy all non system files or data to the new DC and as Tangostar says, move all roles off of the old DC but you must install all applications on the new DC. You must also demote the old DC, rename the new DC, change the IP and then promo the new DC in that order. After promo, roles can be moved back and everyone will think this is the old DC with the exception of the small down time between demote and the new promo. Make sure you remove any objects in AD relating to the old name and any DNS/WINS entries (this should be done automatically with a successful demote other wise you will have to do a metadata cleanup on the old DC) prior to promoing the new DC with the old name and IP. We do this all the time here at work by upgrading old DC's to new equipment keeping the same name and IP addresses. Good luck.

Jeffery Smith (Smitty)
PEC Solutions Inc.
A+ Network+ MCSA MCSE

Since you have multiple DC's:
1. dcpromo the server to be removed
2. Remove server from network
3. Name new server same as old server
4. Join new server to domain
5. dcpromo the new server into the AD

When you dcpromo the old server out of the AD, it will transfer any roles it was holding to the existing DC's on its way out.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Lander215 is correct. One point of interest is that a server does not have to be joined to a domain prior to dcpromo even though it will also worked if joined. By telling the server the domain during the first phase of the DCPromo it will join and promo all at one time deleting the need to join a domain first.

Jeffery Smith (Smitty)
PEC Solutions Inc.
A+ Network+ MCSA MCSE

Thanks guys.. I am going to be testing this via a dummy network before I go ahead and actually do this.. just in case!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back