Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing a SNA Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robnhood

IS-IT--Management
Feb 10, 2003
US
If I have a new windows 2000 server to replace a current windows 2000 server, and I install all of the same options for SNA. Can I backup the configuration on the old server, and restore it on the new server once it has been renamed to the old server name?

Craig

You can do this and I know there is a queue article out there on this. There are several ways to do this.

I have always done this another way. I build the new SNA Server with W2K Server and a different server name. When you load SNA Server on and make it a backup member of the SNA domain that your existing server is in. Now the new server will show up in your SNA domain and you can move the resources from the old primary server to the new backup server. Once this is done then you can demote the old server to backup and promote the new server to primary. If you users are using SNABASE (MS SNA CLIENT) then they will automatically locate the new server name. After a week or so you should be able to decommission the old server.

There are some queue articles on these steps.

Cool, glad that worked. Are you planning to upgrade your SNA servers to Host Integration Server? I am working on a project to do this and am looking for information on how others are doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back