Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing a MSA 500 G2 controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highsand

Technical User
Jul 1, 2005
NL
Hi there

We have a HP system with 2 HP MSA 500 G2 controllers
one of the controllers is suspected to be faulty
and we have a new controller ready to replace the faulty one but this one has the latest firmware revision on it

Can we replace the new one with the old one just like that or do we have to upgrade the other (good) controller in the system to the latest firmware too? or can we just put the new replacement in the running system?(hot swap)

The problem is that if we must upgrade the system will be off line for a period of time.
and we cannot have any down time on this system at the moment

Thnx

Without knowing your indepth configuration, I cannot say for certain whether you can hot swap, but whilst it is best practice to have your firmware up to date it is not a prerequisite as I see it.

If you swap the controllers, the new controller should inherit the configuration from the Hard Disks and configure itself. Whether this will automatically take effect without a reboot I don't know.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back