Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing a Laptop Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

fearlessfreap24

Technical User
Jul 30, 2002
US
Does anyone know where i can find instructions on how to replace a keyboard on a Comapaq? this is for someone i work with so i do not have the model right now.

TIA

Dylan Perez

Get the model number and get back to us. You can also try the HP/Compaq site for manuals.

I got a service manual for my Gateway from servicemanuals4u.com (off E-Bay). Look at the specs for the CD carefully, some of the models listed are complete service manuals, some models are User Manuals. You may want to e-mail them to find out if the CD offers has the exact breakdown you need.

Go to (owners of Compaq) and order it. I think you will find laptop parts under support but not sure.

What you want is definately there though!

P.S. I could not get a replacement keyboard for my old Compaq laptop because HP decided it was not profitable to stock that model. Bah!

Learn from my mistake. Do not buy HP/Compaq laptops except the mainstream models: the rarer models get worse after-sales support! :(

--Glen :)

Memoria mihi benigna erit qui eam perscribam

Typically you can find junk old "for parts" laptops on ebay...

In most cases you just have to remove a few screws from the bottom of your laptop to replace a keyboard. I would look for small icons next to the screw holes that look like a keyboard.... and those would be the ones to undo.

As always check your laptop models service manual for the proper instructions... and you need to get the right keyboard for that exact model of laptop.

Lot of the early Compaqs have pull out strips at either (or both ) top and bottom of keyboard. They look like moulded strips in the wrist rest with a small groove where tehe dge is. Small screwdriver applied carefully at either end will indicate whether this is a cover strip which when pulled up will expose the screws holding the keyboard. Undo and it then lift to expose the ribbon cable connector beneath. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back