Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing a DHCP server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2002
US
We are running AD 2k3 I had to replace my PDC, I transfered all 5 AD roles and DNS. This morning I'm trying to tackle DHCP. I exported the dhcp database as per MS

I imported it to the new DC running 2k3. Everything went fine. I authorized the server and gave it the proper cridentials to server clients.

When I stopped the DHCP service on the old 2k3 server and did a ipconfig /renew on my XP workstaion I get;

An error occured while renewing interface Loacl Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

If I start it up it works and ipconfig /all still has it pointing to the old DHCP server.

There are no errors in the events log. Why isn't my new DHCP server servicing clients.

Thanks

It probably is servicing clients. That doesn't change the fact that the clients still have the old DHCP server's address in their DHCP config as the place to go to renew their current leases. You need to do a /release /renew on each client, and the client will pull a lease that's not currently in use. The good thing about you having migrated the database is that the new server will know what addresses are already supposed to be in use. If you are lucky, it will actually assign the same addresses to the clients. If you really want all this to work the way you were expecting, you should have migrated the IP address of the old DHCP server to the new one, so that the clients would actually do their renewals against it.

ShackDaddy

Depending on how many clients you have, you may want to create a batch file for the ipconfig /release ... renew that ShackDaddy mentioned. Really simple.

Ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
pause

save as ip.bat and place it on a shared folder on the server. Have clients download the file to there deskto and run it. I've done it and it saves time and patience. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you like fun and sun, check out Tek-Tips Florida Forum
"Education is the best provision for old age."
Aristotles (384 BC-322 BC); Greek philosopher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back