Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing a bunch of 36 GB disks on DS4000

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatetec

MIS
Mar 22, 2007
US
I have over 60 of 36 GB small size disks, and need to replace them with 146 GB disks. Luckily, I was able to empty all of the 36 GB disks, so there are no data on 36 GB disks.
One issue I am missing is though that 36 GB disks are spread across several Drive Enclosures, which means each Drive Enclosure has 36 GB disks along with 68 GB and 146 GB disks as well. What would be the best way to replace the 36 GB disks with 146 GB ones? Do I need to make back up of the entire storage for the backup even though the 36 GB ones don't contain any data? Are there any risks if I replace 36 GB ones one by one with 146 GB ones?

thx much

hi,
which kind of ds4000 have you: 4300,4800,4500 ... ?

Are these disks member of any arrays ?

Check the fw level of the storage, and expansions and see
the compatibility for the new disks.

Generally, if a disk is not member of an array, you can
unplug it. When you insert more than one disks, wait between one and the next, that you see the disk in the Storage Manager.

bye
vittorio

It is DS4500 with Version 09.23.G5.01. Yes, the 36 GB disks are members of arrays. So, in this case, what is the way to replace the 36 GB disks with 146 GB ones?

thx so much

Hi gatetec,

You can replace the 36Gb disks with 146gb disks but you would need to ensure that you have a 146gb disk as the spare in the array. As victorv says above, replace one disk at a time.

Hth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back