Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing 9608s with J179s 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nnaarrnn

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2012
US
Hello all. We're replacing 9608s with J179s so the users can have Bluetooth headsets.

I've been trying to find documentation on the simplest way to replace some 9608s with J179s on a few SCN'd 500v2 systems. (some 9608s will remain) Currently at 11.0.4.7, but heading to 11.1.2.1 soon. I can go further if I have to. What I've gathered is I need to delete the base extension for the H.323 endpoint and create a new SIP endpoint with the same base extension number for the phones to automatically log back in after a system reboot/power outage, as it's my understanding that you can't hotdesk between H.323 and SIP extensions.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

You're absolutely correct. Remove the H.323 and add the SIP extension and it will work for you.

You are also correct that you can't hotdesk between the two.

as it's my understanding that you can't hotdesk between H.323 and SIP extensions." - Yes you can. But that would not be a good solution for permanently switching between phone types.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Just a reminder, when getting the J179, you have to also buy the Bluetooth module and put it into each device.

@gkittelson - Thanks for confirming!

@sizbut - I swear I read here that it wasn't possible. The hot desking wouldn't be permanent, just for users who sit in one area for most of their day, but fill in at another area sometimes for lunch coverage and such. I'll have to double check as replacing all of the phones instead of some of the phones seems like it's in my future....

@avayared - I'm aware. That part has already been accomplished.

I still haven't dove too deep into this. Bigger projects took precedence.

HOTDESKING is absolutely possible - but logging out the BASE EXTENSION NUMBER and logging in it in as the opposite type of phone (SIP vs H.323) won't work. And if you reboot, the phones will revert to their base extensions & users.

Its a question of interpretation. Your and gkittelson's statements can be read as saying that you can't hotdesk between H323 and SIP phones - which isn't the case. But for a permanent swap, it needs to be a system and phone reprogram rather than just hotdesking.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

HOTDESKING using the *35 and *36 System Short Codes is absolutely possible.

Logging out the BASE EXTENSION NUMBER through the Craft or Admin menu of the phone will unregister the phone from the IP Office, and you will not be able to re-register it to an extension number that is not that same extension type as the telephone set.

Clearer??

Not sure if it was mentioned by someone else but make sure to enable SIP registrar in the LAN settings or else the J-series phones won't be able to register. Also, if they are remote, then obviously enable SIP remote extensions under LAN settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back