Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing 2 old Notes server with a new Domino 5 server 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekbabe

Technical User
Jul 22, 2002
CA
I am planning to replace our two aging Notes 4.6 servers (on NT 4.0) with a single Domino 5 (on W2K)server. We only use Notes for databases, so one server holds all the databases and the other has been used to certify users. Is there any way of moving all users who have been certified by one server to another? Has anyone ever done this before?

I'm open to any other tips anybody might have.

[worm]

If you build the new server with use the same cert id as the server that you currently use for certifying users you can just copy and paste the users into the new names.nsf. However it is advisable to recertify all users once this is done. You could also just copy all the databases to the new server. You really want to check how people connect to the databases though and update their pointers accordingly. For example we use a portal (navigator) as the front screen for our uses and have all the icons to the most used databases, we had to update these. I have only just done this on the weekend.

Read the 5.x Documentation of Decommission of a server. You can acutally do this and the users would have no idea that they have been moved to a new server. Remember this should be done on off peak hours - I also recommend setting a test environment.

Dominodivine
Any idea where I can get that documentation? I've checked the CD's I have and the Notes site, with no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back