Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacement Tape Drive Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

parsonjack

IS-IT--Management
Apr 28, 2004
GB
just upgraded my DLT VS80 drive with a DLT VS160. drive gone in fine and recognised by Backup Exec but jobs wont run. looks like its because there are no Media Types listed in the Properties page for the drive. What have i done wrong?

Are you sure that all references to the old drive have been removed from BE? Standard license only allows one deck to be used.

hmm. physical drive was replaced and then we installed the drivers using BE Device Wizard, rebooted and new drive appeared in BE as 'HP2' underneath 'HP1' in the Devices window. Properties of 'HP2' did not populate in Drive Type or Media Type on General tab, and Media Types tab was also empty. We deleted 'HP1' but this made no difference (although we didnt reboot at that point). then abandoned the task and put the old drive back in to run the overnight jobs. the old drive cam eup as 'HP3' and works fine. so we now have 'HP2' as the new drive (ut not installed) and 'HP3' as the old drive which is in and working. my gut feeling would be to delete both drives in BE, then shut down the server and replace the tape drive, boot up and create a new drive so there is only one..? sound feasible?

That's what I would do.
I also let the deck completely finish its power-on self tests before turning on the server. I've seen some decks that won't respond to SCSI queries until their POST is done, causing the controller to miss them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back