Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacement Router Recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

larry419

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2011
US
I have a small business network that has a couple unique quirks that are giving me grief when it come to upgrading and replacing our gateway/router.

I have only 1 50/5mb internet connection. Our network backbone consists of 9 gigabit 48 port switches for Vlan1.

Our primary lan1 has two dhcp servers running with an 75/25 split of the range 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.3.254 using the subnet mask of 255.255.252.0

I run 3 different vlans for various reasons. A second runs 192.168.200.1 /22 mask and a third 192.168.400.0 /22 Vlan2 and Vlan3 each have thier own dhcp server. Vlan2 and vlan3 are physically separate once past the gateway router and have their own dedicated switches.

I have some equipment in use on Vlan1 that only supports Class C addressing with a true class C mask of 255.255.255.0

As a result I have our gateway set to a static address of 192.168.0.254. (reserved in all dhcp servers)

I know...... It ain't pretty but it works and has worked for over 4 years this way.

I inherited a Linksys WRV200 router that has been used as the gateway. It was replaced once a couple years ago due to random slowdowns. The one in use now is starting to show the same symptoms. Resetting it will get another couple days to a couple weeks without any problems. The wireless function of this router has been disabled and is not used. The main reason that this router was used was to have VPN access for administration purposes only, had vlan capability and it had a user selectable subnet mask.

The last being the most important. By using a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 at the router, all three vlans have internet access and older Class C only equipment still functions.

Lot of details to ask a simple question....... I am looking for a more robust small business gigabit router that will support a class B subnet mask on a class C network.

Most of what I have found only offer a predefined drop down menu to select from. The wrv200 had no limitations on the subnet mask.

I liked the WRS4000 or even the RV016 or RV082 but they only support true class c subnetting. Surely the wrv200 wasn't a fluke. There has to be other SMB VPN routers out there that allowed for a user selectable subnet mask.

Any ideas ???

Thanks.

Why not get a real firewall router, try a Fortinet FORTIGATE™ FG60C. It is more robust and capable than anything Linksys has ever made. Back in 2009 one of my clients had a WRV200, and it was a real piece of junk! I had to have it replaced by Linksys. Even the replacement, a WRV210, was no better. I convinced them to get a Fortigate and the difference was dramatic! You might want to check Fortinet out...

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back