Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacement router or hub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stretchwickster

Programmer
Apr 30, 2001
GB
I currently have a single-port ADSL modem connected to a single PC. What I want to do is share only the internet connection with 3 other PCs. To achieve this I know I could just purchase a replacement ADSL router that has 4 ports, but would a cheaper alternative be to buy a hub which sits between the router and the original PC, into which all the PCs wishing to use the internet connection are plugged? Will this work? Or do I have to have a router with more ports?

Your advice would be much appreciated!

Clive
Runner_1Revised.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer." (Paul Ehrlich)
To get the best answers from this forum see: faq102-5096

Depends. As long as your ADSL modem supports DHCP you'd be fine with a hub. Having a router behind the modem couldn't hurt. Havind a router with a firewall built would add some security to you network.

I guess I might as well just replace the existing BT Voyager 210 (ADSL Modem) with a 4-port ADSL Modem Router with a built in firewall.

Clive
Runner_1Revised.gif

"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer." (Paul Ehrlich)

Just to inform anyone else who contemplating the same situation:
I bought a Belkin Wireless G+ MIMO 4-port Router (no modem) which sits between the BT Voyager modem and the main desktop PC upstairs. 32 wireless devices can be connected to it. We currently have an wireless laptop and a downstairs desktop (with a LinkSys Speedbooster USB network adapter) connected to the wireless network. All is working nicely. Strong signal. No dropped connections as yet.

Clive
Runner_1Revised.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back