Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacement of disk in hot swap caddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

C4rtm4N

MIS
Sep 29, 2004
GB
Hi,

I'm wanting to replace some 9.1Gb disks on my PL1600R with a load of 36Gb Quantum Atlas V's that we have lying around at the moment. Before I attempt this, can anyone confirm whether it's possible to pull the old ones from their drive caddies & replace them with the new ones ?

Do I need specific disks if I try this ?

TIA

Cartman

Hi

Depends on the backplane of your Server as too which caddy you can use. But I have changed 4Gb to 18Gb in a production environment without any problems. Looks a bit crappy but who cares.
If you have all the gear, just give it go.

Regards

David

I have replaced compaq drives with compaq drives never tried non compaq drive

"For those that have had to fight for it, Freedom has a bitter taste the protected shall never savor" Unknown Author.....

quantum drives are fine i work for a severmaintenance company and we use them all the time but... it sounds like you might be talking about removing one of the drive from the raid set and putting the 36 in place...if you do do that i this the rebuild will degrade the 36 drive down to 9 but im not positive on that id look into it a little more

I am also trying to replace my 9.1G drives in my RA4000 with 36G drives. I am doing this by taking the 9.1 drive(s) out of the caddies and inserting the 36 drives into them. Then I insert the drive into the RA4000. This should work, I think. The problem I am encountering is that the drives won't keep spinning. I have 4 36G drives that I took from another rack and have refurbished and put in the caddies of the 9.1s. I inserted them into the array and it seemed to work, all lights were green. but after about 5 minutes all the drives fail, all lights turn to yellow. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be happening? The array configuration utility just says that there is an error.

Thanks,

TechMama2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back