Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacement laptop batteries - avoid www.pcbattery.co.uk !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallonius

Technical User
May 12, 2010
GB
Watch out for this company - they won't honor the warranty.

I bought a replacement battery for a Dell M1210 which had a 24 month warranty. After 15 months of increasingly poor performance it wont hold a charge, but when I asked them to replace it, they said refused saying it was over 12 months old.

When I pointed out their warranty was clearly and prominently displayed as 24 months they refused to respond. They're website still continues to state a 24 months warranty.

This is clearly a scam - so avoid them.

An issue with some replacement batteries made for a specific model of PC or radio - if the unit that uses the batteries is several years old, the batteries you order later may have been made contemporary with the unit, and may not last long. To find batteries with original or longer life, you may have to find a place that manufactures 'equivalent' batteries, that won't be original stock, and will be fresher. With some manufacturers, the same battery unit may have been used for several models over a span of years, and you're more likely to get a fresher OEM replacement (this was the case with my elderly Thinkpad). My most recent laptop purchase, a Gateway/Acer in 2010, has a battery unit that can be opened, and contains easily replaceable rechargeable C-size cells. It's working well, and I anticipate being able to put in fresh cells if/when I need to in the future.

Fred Wagner

This isn't Angie's List.................

has a battery unit that can be opened, and contains easily replaceable rechargeable C-size cells

So as not to be a total crank, though I do it well - I think this is a brilliant, consumer-friendly way to do things. "Easily replaceable" - so brilliant, yet so simple.

I'm sure there is a profit motive as to why all battery packs are not built this way. High profit replacement part item.

Goom - thanks for the reinforcement - this would be a feature to be alert for when shopping for a new laptop - could avoid grief in out-years if you keep your gear as long as it runs...

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back