Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacement Item Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzz1off

Technical User
May 14, 2012
US
This is a connected issue with my previous thread for using Code 39 font in Report Writer. I was successful in creating a calculated field, thanks to David Mizzou. Unfortunately, another problem was discovered when we tested a variety of item numbers on the report. Although most items print and scan just fine, items with spaces, the # (pound) sign, and the & (ampersand) sign do not scan. These characters, along with a few others do not work with the Code 39 font.

The solution is to create new item numbers as replacement for the problem items (there are about 150 in total), and doing this is not a big issue. The big issue is we lose all historical and transaction data with the new item. Other inventory systems I used in a previo0us life always allowed an easy transfer of such historical data from the old item to new; unfortunately, Dynamics GP does not! It is another important feature they just plain forgot or do not care about!

There is a product called Changer designed to do this. Has anyone here had any experience with this add on product with GP 10?

The Professional Services Tools Library (PSTL) from Microsoft has a tool called Item Modifier that will let you change the name of an item while preserving all the history. Microsoft has now made this tool free, you can get it through your GP Partner.

Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP 2005 - 2012
Use Crystal Reports and SSRS with GP:
blog:

The Professional Services Tools Library (PSTL) from Microsoft has a tool called Item Modifier that will let you change the name of an item while preserving all the history."

Victoria:

By "name", I assume you mean item number? There is also a Dynamics GP add-on called modifier that will do the same thing, although it also allows you to change vendor ID, Customer ID, etc. It, however, not free! Free is good. I will check this out.

Thanks

Sorry, yes, I meant Item Number. The tools for changing Vendor IDs, Customer IDs, GL Account Numbers, etc. are all part of the PSTL, which is now free for GP 10.0 and 2010 (announced in March by Microsoft). Free IS good. :)

Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP 2005 - 2012
Use Crystal Reports and SSRS with GP:
blog:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back