Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacement for Procomm Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

wabob

IS-IT--Management
Sep 21, 2004
US
Hello. I am an administrator for three Siemens Hicom 300E PBXs. I do almost all my programming tasks using LC-Win, but there are a few functions which need to be done with Procomm Plus. Procomm Plus works well, except one problem. It won't work on Windows XP Service Pack 2, and my company wants me to get rid of my old Windows NT 4.0 machine that has it.

Is there a viable replacement for Procomm Plus that will work on Windows XP Pro? I am able to log in to the PBXs using Hyperterminal, but my keyboard mapping doesn't work right.

I also tried a free download of FileLink, which also allowed me to log in, but again the keyboard mapping was an issue.

wabob... i have windows xp service pack 2 on my computer
with procomm plus works great what do mean it will not work
with xp service pack 2 i have no issue what so ever.

hope this helps

strmwalker

I think I found what is wrong. The version of Procomm Plus I have is ancient. I have been told by someone else that the most recent version (Procomm Plus 4.8) does work with Windows XP sp2.

Thanks for confirming what I heard. Hopefully I can persuade my employer to purchase the 4.8 version.

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it".
George Santayana

* DOS * communications software (most of it, anyway) runs like crap on service pack 2. In addition to my Hicom 300's I also take care of a Toshiba DK280 for a non-profit that cannot afford to buy the new version of the admin software. That won'r un under SP2 either, so I scored a 286 laptop with a 20 MB hard drive for $50 and I run it on there.

Problems you will find by leaving procomm is that all the keyboard scripts created by siemens are for procomm and you need them to properly interface with the software. I am running ProComm for Windows, and it's probably at least a 6 year old version.

Depending on what version of LC-Win you are running and what level of access you have you may be able to use the "Direct AMO Dialog" to access most of the same commands you can do in procomm, but I still use procomm for access to checking my backup logs and the like.

I experimented with FileLink and Kermit as a replacement for Procomm Plus, but as you said, the keyboard mapping was wrong.

I have the keyboard mapping for Procomm Plus, so when I receive the version 4.8 (the most recent version - came out in Y2K) I should be fine.

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it".
George Santayana

The only issue I have run into using procom plus on xp sp2 is it does not work with 9005 switchs other wise it works fine on 9006 and 4k.

DARTLVR
HATE TO DISAGREE BUT I MAINTAIN 15 9005 THROUGH PROCOMM AND I'M RUNNING XP SP2

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back