Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacement CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbalun

Programmer
Feb 12, 2001
US
Hi all,

My current desktop machine has an AMD K62 w/ 3D Now. I'd like to upgrade to a better CPU (Thunderbird perhaps)but I'm not sure what other CPU's would fit. The computer is one that a friend of mine built for me. I asked him what other CPU's might fit and he wasn't sure. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, what is involved in changing out the CPU? Is it just a matter of popping out the current CPU and snapping in the new one?

Perhaps someone could direct me to a website that might help answer all my questions?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Have a positive day,
--Scott

Website of the M/B manufacturer.
Manual that came with the M/B.
You change the jumpers/pullups/terminators from the settings of the old processor to the settings of the the new processor, then replace it, hoping that there are no timing problems that show up.
Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Your current desktop machine has an AMD K62 w/ 3D Now. The K6 2/3d now came in at 300 mhz 350/375/400/450/475/500/550 you need to know the speed of your current CPU and the Your motherboards limit like (100X 5.5 ) or 550 mhz The Thunderbird goes in a new type motherboard (only)Socket A Processors.
yours is super socket 7. digitaldave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back