Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replaced Raid 5 drives with larger size

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief49

MIS
Jun 28, 2004
US
I have a compaq proliant ML 350 G1 with a smart array 431 controler and 3 physical drives, 1 logical drive. We had 1 drive that was going so we decided to replace all 3 with a larger size. After replacing each drive in turn and allowing each to rebuld, I used array configuration utility 7.0.1.0 to expand the array to use the new unused space. This took quite some time but everything went fine. However when I look in Win2k disk management I still see the old partition and the unallocated space. How can I get windows to see the logical drive size that the array controller sees? In windows the drive is marked as basic. Do I have to upgrade the drive to dynamic? Is this possible?

Thank you

Although it is possible to convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk without data loss, it will not be possible to expand the volume. This requires the disk to be dynamic before any volume or in this case partition is created on it.
Your options are to create another volume on the unallocated free space, or to a full backup and recreate the disk as dynamic.
/charles

Or buy something like VolumeManager which will extend an existing partition.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

What about a command line utility such as DiskPart.exe by MS?

I'll let you know. I just used DiskPart.exe from microsoft to extend the volume. It works great. I was able to leave the disk as basic and extend the volume to use all of my unalocated space. Here is the download location Make sure that you follow their directions. Start the computer in safe mode. The process took literally 2 seconds to extend 36 GB.

Hi Chief49,

I noticed that you might need to move data around during this volume expansion.

I though this might interest you.

Rainfinity has a RainStorage product that allows data movement without downtime. Clients and programs continue to access data while it is being moved and there is no need for scheduled downtime.

I've used RainStorage to move NFS and CIFS files on Ethernet and it works great - you can move files from one server to another while customers are accessing the files and no downtime is needed - the clients don't even know the files are being moved! I've moved files in the daytime with RainStorage.

Let me know if I can answer any specific questions.

Regards,
Jim

Jim P. Ames
jimpames@hotmail.com

Thank you I will take a look at it. I don't have to move any data on this job but I will need to do some moving of data on an upcoming Job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back