Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replaced CMOS battery. Still starts up in BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadenton

Technical User
Dec 19, 2002
US
My 9+ year-old IBM A22 ThinkPad recently started refusing to boot-up, and would instead display the BIOS screen. I would re-set the time/date each time -- and then it would boot-up properly.
I bought a new CMOS battery and installed it. However, the computer still is opening with the BIOS screen. No change from before. When I re-set the time/date, it then boots-up properly.
Do you have any ideas why I still have the problem? Could the CMOS battery that I bought be bad? Unlikely? Do I need to re-set the boot-up sequence, or something?
Can you help?

It could be a bad battery off the shelf, Reseat the battery you bought, And after you set the date and time, load defaults in cmos, than save, than exit. A lot of the IBM machines you save, than you exit, as separate inputs. Trying to remember if the cmoc battery on the A22 has the little plastic holder,and has a little tiny cable that plugs into the main board, If it is, sometimes it looks like it's seated in the plug, but it's not. Also its a good idea to clear any logs that may be in the BIOS.

IIRC it is the one with the connector block. On that type of battery I use the leads to connect to the plates of a 2032 and heat shrink a cover over the new battery, expecting that the 2032s have a higher turnover and probably newer.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Test the battery first with a multimeter.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back