Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replace Laptop WSXGA LCD with WUXGA LCD - Any Hiccups? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
My laptop: Dell XPS M1530 w/nVidia 8600 GT Graphics

Screen Resolutions Guide:

Screen replacement I'm considering (WUXGA)[/LINK]

My current resolution = WXGA

Other coniderations: I've also found a few WXGA and WXGA+ screens on eBay. The WUXGA screen, linked above, is a Phillips LG screen, which for the specific model seems to be the best screen to get vs Smasung as other possibility. I have no idea what my current screen is, never took the time to look.

My main question is: I've replaced a couple of screens to date, but never attempted any upgrade in the process. Will upgrading from one resolution screen to another require any other changes - cabling, inverter board, etc? I did see that going from LCD to LED would require a new/different inverter, but I'm not interested in the LED I saw, as it's the same resolution - not exactly an improvement.

I'm fine with my current resolution, but just figure might as well make it better if I'm going to the effort of swapping the screen (the screen is damaged, though usable, so I plan on replacign regardless).

Also, I realize that this laptop has the horrible nVidia 8 series graphic chipset. I knew that before I got it. But I've had it for a good while, no issues to date. You could say it's a ticking time bomb, but so be it. I've got a desktop running an 8600 GT card there, had it now for about 5 years, I think, no issues there either.

Thanks for any opinions, suggestions, links, references.

Well the issues that face the mobile nvidia chip are not present in the desktop as they are not the same chip, or boards made using the same process. Also you are right, going to a higher resolution may require you to go to a different inverter board. You would have to research that, but my experience has been that a different one is needed. The cable stays the same,almost every time, but to make sure, you would just need to confirm the connectors are the same on the screen and inverter to the the new ones. Only advantage for the led backlighted lcd over ccfl is better battery life.

Thanks. That's what I thought I had read with the nVidia boards mostly, but from some forum posts I had come across - quite some time back - it sounded like it wasn't totally a separate issue.

Regardless, that part is working fine. [smile]

Well, that's something I'll have to look at then - whether or not to mess with the inverter board, and whether I'd have to.

I'll do some more digging..

Thanks.

Ooo, Yippee.. I think I just now noticed this in the description for the WUXGA screen:
Listing said:
*Inverter with light sensor included
I hadn't noticed that previously. [smile] So whether I need it or not, it's there.

Swap WSXGA LCD with WUXGA LCD

How much better is it going to be? Worth the hassle??

The current WSXGA LCD recently got damaged, so I've got to replace it anyway. Maybe I didn't put that earlier, as I rewrote my initial post at least once. [smile]

Yeah, I wouldn't do it just to do it, but I need to replace it anyway.

The damaged one still works, but it's just annoying to no end. There's some sort of internal crack at the top of the screen, and to describe it is to say that a couple of ink spots showed up, and have somewhat (a couple of the 3 or 4) faded away. And the crack wiggles at times.

Well, so far, from what I'm finding... of those actually available, the WUXGA are the Samsung screens which are reportedly bad, in this case. So, I may very well just stick with the WXGA+ or whatever... May keep looking.

Yeah, I've heard of it, but the whole idea doesn't. I already owned it, so therefore I wouldn't "buy it", rather I'd replace it. That's okay, probably a late night or busy day when you posted it. [wink]

If it were not mine and I broke it, then that comment would fit.

It's a good thing, I'm an analyst, then, I suppose. ;p

A quick update so far. I had a hard time finding an LG screen for a worth buying price. Finally found one, and put it on order.

The screen is due to arrive today, though I don't think (maybe I can try to squeeze it in... would like to) I'll have time until possibly Saturday.

I ended up getting a 1440x900 screen, same as what's in there now. Frankly, I didn't want to chance ending up with a nonworking piece of equipment, and I wasn't willing to fork out $100+ just to test and see if I could do it differently.

Once installed, I'll post back with my experience there.

A final update... took a while, b/c kept forgetting about this post... and it's been an ordeal to say the least.

1. Ordered the "LG" screen as specified from seller
2. Seller sent a cheap knock-off which I specifically requested against (seller advised to specify in the order)
3. The knock-off was horrible. Was WAY too dim, had a streak down the middle of the screen, and didn't work correctly with the brightness adjustments from the laptop
4. I sent that screen back for refund
5. The same exact screen showed up at my house within a day or two. Fedex had pulled my shipping info out, and left only the info where it had been shipped to me originally, and RE-DELIVERED the thing to my house! [mad]
6. Sent the screen back - again - this time actually went all the way through.
5. Ordered from someone else in the mean time
6. Actually got the LG screen I wanted - well, this one was a little newer, and a little better, so I won't complain that it's not identical. [wink]
7. Got the new one installed - again.
8. At least 2 weeks after I had sent the bad screen back, that seller said "hey, we got a real LG screen in this time, and are ready to re-ship, just confirm your address"
9. I advised that I only wanted a refund.
10. I think it was a total of 3 or 4 days later, finally had refund.
11. The "real LG" screen has been working great ever since.

The final outcome/opinion of the whole matter? I can see why folks often don't even want to mess with fixing things like this, and would rather chunk the old one and buy a new one. But that strategy is impossible for me. I spent just over $100, got a better screen than before, had to spend some time and headache, but have a machine that is still a very good laptop:

Dell XPS M1530... Core 2 Duo T7200 I think it is (2ghz I think), 4GB Ram DDR2800, 320GB WD Black hard drive, nVidia 8600GT (mobile) graphics.

Hopefully the screen doesn't get cracked again. [smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back