Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replace kvm switching with wifi remote desktop access in home net?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raygg

Technical User
Jun 14, 2000
US
I would like to get rid of the wiring for connecting 4 computers to a single kvm switch in my home network by using windows remote access by using a wifi card in the back of these desktops. Ideally I would have one wired desktop connected to my home wireless router which then would allow remote desktop access to other desktops that would have a wifi card instead of bding wired to a kvm switch and thereby eliminating a lot of wiring and giving more flexibility to place these other desktop boxes in another room, etc.

Is this an easy, practical, relatively cheap and convenient solution to eliminate the wiring and allow placement of the addl desktops in a closet or another room etc (allowing for adequate ventilation etc)?. Can I use this for accessing non-windows pcs running unix or linux? Is there an easy solution to remote turnon-turnoff using this approach?

Okay, yes, this would work in a windows environment, no it would not in a linux or other OS environment, but there are free alternatives that do, one such is team viewer. Link

Teamviewer has Windows,linux,mac,android,ios,and windows phone clients. Works very well, I use it to control my HTPC computers, the only issue is it shows a black screen if media center is playing, but just ctrl-alt-del, and alt-tab to the desktop, and when done, alt-tab back. Utilize enet power on if device has it in bios/uefi, it will do remote restart, just have to establish the connection again. I do not work for teamviwer, I use it, and recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back