Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replace hard drive BCM50 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpzan

Technical User
May 14, 2016
US
Hello, got a call the other night from a customer stating all the phones were out of service. BCM50 6.0 with ten T7316E sets and a PRI.

When I got there the next morning, all the indicators on all the phones were flashing, there was a red alarm light on the main cabinet and no access to element manager through the OAM port.

I put a new multi-image hard drive in it, connected via putty and applied the 6.0 image. After it booted up I was able to connect to element manager. The keycodes were still there so I loaded the backup and everything back to normal.

Question - shouldn't the T7316E sets keep running even though the hard drive's crashed?

Unlike the BCM 200, 400 and 1000 systems that had a "limp" mode feature allowing the use of TDM kit only, the BCM 50 will be unable to function if the hard disk has failed.

I'm glad that you got it all working again.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

I loaded the backup and everything back to normal."

Normally you would need to install patches that are equal too or greater then the ones in the backup file (old hard drive/bcm).
Did you load patches before the backup? or perhaps the old one did not have any patches installed?

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Thank you Firebird Scrambler. It was information provided by you and curlycord in earlier posts that got me through this.

Curlycord - I didn't load any patches. I assume the system didn't have any patches as you said.

Question - where can I get the patches in case this happens again?

As Curly has stated, we can't give out our personal details.

I think the 5 patches that you require are..

BCM50 6.0
==================================

PATCH ID: BCM050.R600.SU.System-022.201412-1 Category: GEN
PATCH ID: BCM050.R600.SU.Desktop-005.201406-1 Category: GEN
PATCH ID: BCM050.R600.SRG-137-1 Category: GEN
PATCH ID: BCM050.R600.SAMBA-136-1 Category: GEN
PATCH ID: BCM050.R600.UTPS-138-1 Category: GEN

Only needed below if the system was at a previous release of software.
PATCH ID: BCM50R6_FactoryImageUpgrade-1.02-0 Category: GEN

Firebird Scrambler

Website = linkedin

Thank you both for the valuable information.

I found an Avaya BCM Smart Update disk while going through my stuff. It's labeled NTATO145/NO179316 Version: 03.201101-2 Revision: April, 2011. I opened it on an old Windows XP laptop and noticed it contains Patch IDs System-022, SAMBA-136 and a bunch of other stuff. I'm not very good with computers and not sure how to load this on a BCM50. Is there a guide on how to load patches on a BCM50?

It's probably in one of the guides.

Unzip you patch file if compressd/zipped
Read the readme file in any patch to see dependencies/info**
Go to Admin/SoftwareMgmnt/SoftwareUpdates
Search for your folder
Confirm/Install

In your case you can do in order:
System
Desktop
UTP
Samba

You can have this done remotely if unsure or not comfortable.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Curly's advice is spot on (as always!). Most of the patches will reboot the BCM to apply them, but the desktop one won't reboot it!.

Remember to fit an old USB stick and set the BCM to do Monthly backups.
It will save the customer loads of grief. I can never understand why they rarely use them.

Firebird Scrambler

Website = linkedin

Many thanks curlycord for the concise information. And thanks as always Firebird Scrambler. Good idea about getting backups!

I'm scheduled to pull out an old BCM50 soon that the customer says we can have. I'm going to play around with it and try to get some experience loading patches.

Thanks again.

kp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back