Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replace DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudakova

IS-IT--Management
Aug 14, 2002
US
Hi everyone,

We have Windows 2000 domain. There are two DC (DC1&DC2). We added one more DC (DC3). Now we need to remove DC1 from domain,and DC3 must replace it. What is the best practice to do that? DC1 is “primary” DC, we use static IP addresses, AD integrated DNS zone, all WKS’s are Win 2K Pro.

Thank you in advance

Make sure you have a good backup. DCPROMO on the new server, (Sounds like you already have though). Replicate everything. Make SURE backup can restore to cover yourself. Copy everything from dc1 over to dc3. DCPROMO dc1 to demote it. Check to make sure you can restore from dc3. If able, your in business. Keep dc1 around awhile just in case something happens. There may be easier ways, but this is how I'd approach it. Check all event logs afterwords to make sure you're clean. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"What really happens is trivial in comparison to what could occur."
Robert von Musil (1880-1942); Austrian author.

After doing the above I would also check the Operations Masters are set correctly and not set to the old DC.
In the MMC for Active directory and Computer -> Right click and select Operation Masters.

Ash.

Good point ash, forgot all about that. Thanks, could have caused some problems for sure. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"What really happens is trivial in comparison to what could occur."
Robert von Musil (1880-1942); Austrian author.

Thanks.

What about DNS? Would these actions to replace DNS?
Because DC3 must be primary DNS server.

You might like to look at It shows you how to transfer all 5 Flexible Single Master Operations (FSMO) roles, Schema Master, Domain Naming Master, Infrastructure Master, RID Master and PDC Emulator.

is also worth looking at.

I'm about to do the same thing myself.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back