Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replace color with another color

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrumAt5280

Technical User
Sep 8, 2003
US
I have a png that i would like to take all the yellow in the photo and change is to a light gray color.

How do i accomplish this - is this done with some sort of filter technique?

Thanks!

Copy the image so you have two layers of the same image.
Select the area you want to re-colour (use the select tool/ mask tool)
Mask the part you want recoloured, change the colour by using the hue & saturation, then put the masked image over the copy you made.

----------------------------------------
Sometimes, when my code just won't behave, I take it outside and make it listen to britney spears music, and when it comes back it's really well behaved. I wonder if it's suffering from post tramatic stress syndrome now..

DaRNCaT,

Thanks for the reply.

Since the yellow color I would like to replace appears in many-many small locations all over the photo, i was kind of hoping for a quick find-this-exact-color and replace-it-with-another-color feature so i didn't have to pick all the 100's of small locations for the yellow color.

Is there another way?

DaRNCaT,

Maybe discard that last message.

I think i understand your procedure now.

Does the select tool/ mask tool pick multiple parts of the image automactically when i touch on the yellow area with that tool?

Sorry i don't use that tool often.

If it's a really fiddly job, you might want to use photoshop instead, I know it can do a colour replace, Fireworks doesn't have this feature, as it's basically a tool for building graphics for web or flash applications, not a photo editor.

The wand tool will select colours of a similar hue, that are touching, if you have yellow spread right through you pic you'll have problems with this.

What you could try is to use the levels control within the filters drop menu - although you can only select red, green or blue, you might be able to re-colour the yellow without effecting your picture too much.

You could also experiment with the colourise in the hue and saturation, both of these do change the whole pic though.

Sometimes, when my code just won't behave, I take it outside and make it listen to britney spears music, and when it comes back it's really well behaved. I wonder if it's suffering from post tramatic stress syndrome now..

How aobut using your magic wand tool.

Click on the image you want to change with the wand tool then click "Select" on your menu and choose "Select Similar" and see what happens.

It may NOT grag every one the same plixes but at least you narrow it down

December, Thanks i will give that a try tonight.

December, that worked well in selecting all the scattered yellow pixels.

Now a stupid question, how do i change the color of the selected pixels?

I try the paint bucket tool but it only does one at a time instead of all the ones selected.

Thats where I'd use the mask, and two layers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back