Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repeating section on same page 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

glyph1

Programmer
Jun 15, 2007
Using Crystal Reports for VS .Net
DB: SQL 2000

I have a details section that has data from a seperate table than the fields in the sections above and below.

I need to print all fields in the section based on a selection criteria. For example:

while (recordNumber = specifiedRecord)

do
(line1) print field.firstName + field.lastName + field.birthDate
(line2) print field.birthCity + field.birthState

recordNumber = (nextRecord)

end loop

Just some basic pseudo code, if you can help me that would be GREAT! Thanks in advance!

I'd hold off on the pseudo code and first con vey requirements.

Clarify "I have a details section that has data from a seperate table than the fields in the sections above and below."

WHat are these sections? Groups, Report header/footer, or?

How can there be data from another table there? Crystal doesn't support multiple data sources unless you place the others in a subreport.

Crystal is an odd duck to fathom at first, so try posting:

Example data (show the tables, if there are joins, fields and some sample data, real or imagined)
Expected output (what do you need displayed)

You shouldn't care what sections anything exist in, just that the output matches the requirements, so specify that first.

It may be that I've already answered your question, in that you need subreports, perhaps grouping the main report on the proper entity (record???), and using a sub report in the group header, and onje in the group footer.

-k

Although this post might not be helpful to others I appreciate your feedback and the solution was simple, I had to use a subreport to get the job done. I hadn't used them before and I'm fairly new to crystal reports so I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I have been using the resources from crystalreportsbook.com is there any other free resources out there in case I need to do further reading? If not I might pick up the actual book from that page instead of using the web book.. This could be my last run in with crystal for a while. Thank you again for your post!

-Glyph1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back