Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repeating Scheduled Procedures Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auguy

Programmer
May 1, 2004
US
I need some advice. I have 30-40 procedures that can be run by the user within the App or can be called externally with a windows server scheduled task with something like.
Code:
AppName.exe StatusCheck
These procedures do things like check the status of the fax server, send files with FTP, auto-post AR & AP, Process EDI documents, send emails, etc. Many of these scheduled tasks are called every 20 minutes through out the day. I have to add a few more tasks and was wondering if I should create my own scheduling program with timers that would fire the procedures every 20 minutes. Does having this application doing nothing for probably 15 out of the 20 minutes waiting for the timer to fire again have any real impact on the server? Would making this a service make any sense? I would think I would want each procedure to have it's own thread if possible.

Auguy
Sylvania/Toledo Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back