Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repeating Field question for FM Pro 8 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

th201

Technical User
Dec 15, 2003
US
How can I create a script that will automatically paste info into the next available/blank repeating field in Fm Pro 8? If I have a repeating field with 10 repetitions and the first 4 are filled in, how can I make sure that the paste will go into the 5th repetition and so on? Are there any new shortcuts for this in FM Pro 8 or will I have to create a lengthy script? Any advice would be greatly helpful.

First advice would be, redesign your database and don-t use repeating fields.
RF are only to store temporarely items, NOT data.
Only when you are a real advanced developer you could use RP to manipulate data, but that's another story.

Redesign your application and use the relationship features.

If you really want to go that way, I can't stop you, you will have to script it.
A calculation to find the first empty RF.

Also, you're talking about 'paste', which involves 'copy'.
Another weakness in design, for copy-paste the field(s) need to be on the layout, set field is better an more powerfull.

Perhaps if you give us more detail about what you want, we could advice you better.

Thanks for the tips. I failed to mention that the repeating fields would actually be used just to store temporary data. Basically the repeating fields would be a marker of sorts. The repeating field would be on a record containing data, the repeating field and its repetitions would filled in by ID numbers of people that we wish to send the record of data to. The ID numbers would be in the repeating field temporarily. I have started on a script that uses the Get, isempty, & Set Field functions but have found it tiresome since I have to create about 3 function commands per repetition and the repeating field has 30 repetitions. Is there a shortcut or any other method to what I am trying to do?

Not knowing how your structure is now, I would say: Go relational.

Make another TO and mimic on that level what you want to do with the repeating fields.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back