Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repeated Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

moorejp

Programmer
Feb 17, 2001
US
Can anyone give me advice on where to look for possible causes of repeated database corruption?

Have been experiencing problems with database corruption in a system under development. In last few months, this Access 97 database has gone sour three times, usually fist indicated by failure to recognize the basic NZ function and string functions like Left(), Mid(), Trim(), etc.

Creating new db and importing objects from bad db then re-compiling all code takes care of the problem for a long while. However, it's happened again this morning after at least a month of working fine.

The work is being done on four different PCs with different operating systems (Win 98, XP Professional, XP Home). All those PCs have the same version of Office 97, Service Pack 2.

I worked on the db at home last night (XP Home edition) then copied the changes over VPN back to the office. Co-worker this morning (using Win 98) started getting the "Unrecognized Function NZ" and similar error messages all over the place. I frequently work from home at night and copy the changes without anyone at office (98 or XP Pro) having problems.

Any ideas where I should start looking for possible causes?

You might want to run compact and repair regularly. This can do a lot towards reducing corruption. As to the source, it could be the network. I had a daily (sometimes more than that) corruption, which resolved itself once the network stabilized. I run compact and repair every couple of days, and when it corrupts (now once every few weeks or so), I import it into a new database.

Linda Adams
Linda Adams/Emory Hackman Official Web site Official web site for actor David Hedison:

The type of corruption you're describing sounds like a problem with references. If you still have a corrupted copy of the database, open it up, bring up some code, and hit tools|References. If there's a reference marked missing, unclick it, close this window, and then find the same reference and select it.

Working with that many OSes and a couple of versions of office, I wouldn't be surprised at some amount of corruption of the references.

If this isn't the problem, do a serach on comp.databases.ms-access.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace
Designing, Developing, and Deploying Access Databases Since 1995

Take a look at the Developer's section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

Remember to reward helpful tips with the stars they deserve.

My guess would be that the references used on your home version don't coincide with those used by the various operating systems at work.

On the workstation where nz() is failing (given that it has the code available) go into the code and, in 97, debug.references. See if there are any references that are showing ERROR. If so, it might be a newer version that you have on your computer that this workstation doesn't have.

Uncheck it and find an older version (alphabetically down the list). EG replase DAO 3.6 with DAO 3.5.

Then go back and recompile/save all.

Good luck.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back