Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repair install will not complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilBob

Technical User
Jul 25, 2008
US
Running Windows XP Pro SP3. OS was giving me problems so I elected to do a Repair Install. My problem is it won't complete. Once, it got me up to typing in product key code. When I did that, it rejected it saying it was invalid. I double-checked with the tag on the tower & it was the key for it.
I had made a copy of the OS disk when I 1st bought the PC (in case the original got damaged)& tried that one, as well as one for a refurbished PC, all to no avail.

When it’s done copying files & configuring Windows, it shuts down & reboots followed by press any key to boot from CD. I get the OEM logo screen, the Windows splash screen and finally completing set-up. It shuts down again & starts all over with the above in a continuous loop. I tried repairing it with the CD in my CD drive & my DVD drive with the same outcome in both. I tested the HD drive & all was OK. Can anybody tell me what I can do to complete the repair? Do I have to install a new HD & reinstall everything?

Thanks for any help you can give me, Bob

Is the original OS disk XP sp3? Or was service pack added later, and the OS disk never streamlined to include the SP?

basically, you will need to slipstream SP3 onto that install CD, just like rclarke250 seemed to hint at...

make sure that you use an original OEM CD (or retail) depending on what is reflected on the COA sticker,,,

when you burn the slip-streamed CD, do so at the lowest possible speed...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

lol, I going with tired, but maybe it's age, now. Thanks Ben.

Thanks! I'll try that as the original OEM disk had SP 1. But it seems to me when I last did a repair install (about 6-9 months ago), I had no problem doing this. I'll give it a try & let all know how it worked.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back