Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reorganising volume groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadragon

IS-IT--Management
May 29, 2001
IE
Hi all,
Well my HPUX machine started of as a development machine and I had 2 volume groups. Then I needed more space so I changed to just one volume group spanning 2 disks as the second volume group wasn't being used. Of course now its running an important Oracle dbase and two of my critical lvol are stored on both disks :(
I need to find out how I can
a) move data so the lvol reside on just one disk.
b) move all data to one disk, use the other disk as a mirror
c)none of the above but get me where I need to go.
I appreciate this is a complex question and I appreciate any help, pointers etc.
Thanks
Babs

Hello there,

The first part is easy, hence why I am answering straight away. HP have produced a group of programs under the heading Ignite-UX.
Ignite is a great utility which allows you to create a system backup to a tape, HP allows you to boot from this tape, from the boot prompt, which then allows you to restore all the information.
The best bit however is that when you reinstall from tape you can change your volume groups, logical volumes etc.

This is one thing to investigate.

Another would be to decide actually what you want and then ask for help. It is difficult for us to follow this as we could recommend various different set-ups and then have to expain how to do each one, this is a contractors job....

I would suggest that you keep your root file system on the first disk, and put Oracle on the second, however Oracle recommend that you spread their stuff over multiple disks because (depending upon how you operate it) it can have high levels of I/O.

Mirroring is for redundancy so I cannot recommend this especially as you only have 2 disks and with the I/O from Oracle.....

Any give us some more information and we will try to help some more.

Best regards

Thanks for the reply jollyroger, I will investigate Ignite- UX.
Would it matter that I have no terminal for the machine, I can only telnet or use hterm or something like Reflection X to get at the machine.
The only thing this machine is being used for really is Oracle so I guess I need to keep the data on two disks. As it has a lot of traffic.
What I want is to have a set up where if disaster strikes, one disk fails etc. I have the means to get back up and running quickly. I will look into Ignite straight away.
Thanks again,
Babs

# pvmove -n lvol source_pvol dest_pvol

moves physical extents (pes) of lvol from source_pvol to dest_pvol

Without the -n option all pes of source_pvol will be moved to dest_pvol(provided there is space) and if dest_pvol is not specified the pes of source_pvol are distributed across the physical volumes of the volume group to which source_pvol belongs.

miranda_noel@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back