Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reommend good diagnostic program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 3, 2005
US
Hi all,

I hope today finds you well and in good spirits.

I have discovered some inconsistencies on my HP laptop recently. I need to identify "definitively" what hardware is on my machine. And, in particular, my video card. Can any of you recommend a good diagnostic program that will give me manufacturer, serial number, and performance information? Evaluation software would be helpful since this is a once and done project (hopefully).

Thanks for the help

Best regards,

IggysFriend

You could try the directX config tool. Most probably already in your machien.

Got To Start-Run, and type "dxdiag" without the quotes and then hit enter.

It should tell youj everything you need to know about your Video hardware.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

everest" will do that as well, and there is likely a free verson.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Try this, although it might be different depending on the version of Windows you are using:

START>PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES>SYSTEM TOOLS>SYSTEM INFORMATION

look around in there, might not show serial numbers but there is a lot of info about the hardware, software, applications, etc.

You can also run the DX diagnostic tool which can be found in the WINDOWS/SYSTEM folder or maybe try START>RUN> then type: dxdiag

Hi all,

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll be sure to check them out.

I hope you have a great Holiday season.

Best regards,

IggysFriend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back