Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Renew CCNP certification 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrOyvind

Technical User
Aug 10, 2007
NO
Hi

My CCNP certification from 2008 expires in september.
Is it enough to pass Cisco 842-813 Implementing IP switched networks(SWITCH) to update the CCNP certification for 3 years more ?
Thank you.

Hi,

Yup, any professional level exam with recertify your CCNP for another 3 years. You dont have to do a professional exam within the CCNP exam scope, you could for example so BGP, Route, QOS, MPLS etc...

Cheers, Lee.

LEEroy
CCNP,CCIP

Sheesh, Monday morning... I checked my post 3 times before posting... Correction....

Hi,

Yup, any professional level exam will recertify your CCNP for another 3 years. You dont have to do a professional exam within the CCNP exam scope, you could for example do BGP, Route, QOS, MPLS etc...

Cheers, Lee.

LEEroy
CCNP,CCIP

Do the BGP exam. That thing was sad.

CCNP, CCDP, CCIP
Core Network Planner, ISP

Im to busy, so the switch certification will be the shortest way(3 weeks).
BGP is cool stuff, why was it sad ?
Someone know which certification to take for MPLS\MPLS VPN ?
Thank you.

I think that's CCIP for MPLS from memory. I think CCIP covers BGP, MPLS and QOS.

Hi,

Yup, for the CCIP you need Route, MPLS , BGP and QOS.

Cheers, Lee

LEEroy
CCNP,CCIP

Thank you for good information all.

Oyvind

When I recerted my NP 2 years ago, I did it with ISCW, which was security-based---part of the training covered MPLS in detail, and last year it was replaced with T-SHOOT (well, some of the topics covered are now in T-SHIT).

HTH

Cisco IOS Software, C2600 Software (C2600-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(25c), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: Copyright (c) 1523-2010 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 11-Feb-1539 23:02 by ßµ®†Šß€€Š

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [ÝØÝØMØÑ], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Edge uptime is 469¼

I did the ISCW for 3 years ago. I remember Cisco networking academy and the cisco press book described MPLS and covered 2-3 labs and some scenarios.
But I will not call it deep MPLS network learning.
For example adding default routes and firewall rules to VRF is missing.
The MPLS network on my workplace is designed totally different from what I learned in ISCW. But it gave med the key to understand the network.
I hope the CCIP it`s much deeper in MPLS design in different scenarios.
But the ISCW gives a good understanding of MPLS basic.
My opinion.

Best regards,

Oyvind

Don't get hopes up too high on MPLS design. I thought it was still rather high level, and mostly still around using BGP for it.

MPLS Fundamentals was still a good read though.

For CCIP, the MPLS exam wasn't super deep, but probably deep enough for most. If you're going from ISCW into the MPLS concentrate exam, I'd say the biggest addition is the topic of MPLS VPNs, which very much ties into the BGP exam which is probably why they have a composite exam for them. Of all the Cisco stuff I have I'd say CCIP was the easiest, though, since the QoS exam was mostly a rehash of the ONT exam for CCNP, the BGP exam was 50% rehash from the BSCI exam for CCNP, and the MPLS exam was at least 1/3 rehash from the ISCW.

CCNP, CCDP, CCIP

Just saw that above question for me from MrOyvind:

When I said the BGP exam was sad, I meant that it was by far the easiest professional-level exam that I've experienced from Cisco. I didn't mean that BGP itself was sad.

BGP does take awhile to adapt to changes, and he does carry a bit of weight with him, but once you get to know him you'll find he's a great neighbor and has many likeable attributes.

CCNP, CCDP, CCIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back