Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rendering .dat saved customer data to a database

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcollette

Technical User
Jun 1, 2010
BS
I have a CD with files that were migrated from a Vax server and saved as .dat and would like to format the information in a database.

Hi,

What database application? (Oracle, SQL Server, Access, DB2)

What is the structure of the .dat file? (Text, numeric, date, etc.; fixed length or delimited)

Are there headings in the .dat?

Do you have an existing table(s) in your db, to append this data to?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

I would like to render it in an access databae; although the current customer data is in a program on the as/400. The data structure is mixed meaning, customer data; Test -names addresses; numeric - $amounts and delimited. There are headings;

Why not simply IMPORT? Save the import spec, so that you can reuse if necessary.

Skip,
[sub]

Hi Skip;

I tried importing the data; which is zipped and it is taking a toll on my disk space and did not extract.

thanks

I tried importing the data; which is zipped and it is taking a toll on my disk space and did not extract.
Let's clarify.

Did the EXTRACT of the .dat file fail or did the IMPORT of the .dat file fail?

I would think that you must unzip prior to importing.

Can't help you will lack of disk space. Can you not extract to a network share?

Skip,
[sub]

The file was unzipped and started the import again; of course the records came over in Access jumbled with the usual characters mixed but the table has a an error saying Unparsable Record; please help...

The data structure is mixed meaning, customer data; Test -names addresses; numeric - $amounts and delimited.
How are they delimited?

Skip,
[sub]

I tried tab and comma; because it is customer date; i.e. in columns - Cust Id Loc Id Account # Account Amount Street Address; etc

I tried tab and comma...
This is not a guessing game!!!

You must know without any uncertainty, exactly what the delimiter character is.

THAT SPECIFIC DELIMITER CHARACTER is what you must use to parse you data in the IMPORT process!!!

Is this not a know piece of information?

Skip,
[sub]

How about you COPY the headings and several lines of detail, and PASTE here. WE may get a hint.

Skip,
[sub]

This is information that I have never seen before that was removed from an old unsupported server, but the need now exists for users to view the data;
 ACC0  34290 ACC00340034290  > > ¡ ~  This is what the data looks like in Access
I will see if someone else has more knowledge; don't want to take up too much of your time; as you can imagine, I am not a programmer. Thank you for your patience.

You need to copy the headings and several lines of data, from the SOURCE .data file, NOT from Access.

Skip,
[sub]

I am unable to open the source .DAT file; I have been trying to open it using different file extensions without success; this is as close to reading it using word or notepad.

Somehow, you need to determine the delimiter, so that you can properly parse the IMPORT.

Skip,
[sub]

Here's what the string your posted looks like with ASCII values
[tt]
 ACC0  34290 ACC00340034290  > > ¡ ~ 
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back