Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Render Speed Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB45

Technical User
Feb 3, 2005
US
RS 2008
Data SQL 2005

Before I spend a couple of hours figuring out which is best I thought I would ask...

I have a report where I am going to display an amount based on a parameter entered at run time. I have four different amounts but only one will be displayed at a time and I can think of two ways to do this. All of the data will be returned in the query regardless.

1. Add all columns to the report and hide the unwanted columns based on the parameter

2. Build the parameter into the expression on one amount column and therefore limit the number of columns in the design view.

The best efficiency in rendering is what I am after. If anyone has another suggestion that would be great.

Thanks
BB

I would probably do #2. But you could test both. Take a look at the TimeStart/TimeEnd columns in the ExecutionLog2 view in SSRS to see which takes longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back