Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Renaming Tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjsj

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2001
US
Hi all
Just a problem I have come across. We are using arcserve 6.6 EE and have an hp sure store tape unit. The problem is that I have just made a load of barcodes up for the tapes and if the reader doesn’t read the barcode when the tape is used arcserve gives it a 10-digit serial number. I would like to get rid of this number but even when a new barcode is used and it can read it, it still reads the tape and uses the serial number on there.

Formatting the tape does nothing and can’t see any other way to change it

Anybody’s help would be appreciated

First off a little background, the tape name and ID change all the time so the serial number was added as a way to have a permanent record for the tape. The whole idea of the serial number is that it should never change.

When using barcodes the barcode is used as the serial number, except when the tape was already given a serial number. So how do you get rid of something that is not supposed to go away.

Here is what you do.

Do a Quick Erase Plus on the tape,
go into the database and delete the tape,
stop the Tape Engine,
start the Tape Engine,

Now when the Tape Engine starts again it will get the inventory from the library. Because the tape is blank and there is no record of the tape in the database an entry will be created in the registry under TapeEngine\Barcode. Then when the tape is next used it will be given a serial number matching the barcode which is recorded in that registry entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back