Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

renaming mount points 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zyrag

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2002
PH
I have copied (using cp -rp) the contents of filesystem (/fs1) on vg1 to /fs2 on vg2. While cleaning up the disk containing /fs1, I want to temporarily make /fs2 as the main /fs1 by doing the following procedure:

1. umount /fs1
2. smitty chfs and change mount point of fs1 to fs1a
3. smitty chfs and change mount point of fs2 to fs1

oppps... sori, not finished yet.. here's the continuation..

4. mount the new fs1

Will these procudure works? In case of failure, Would I be able to retrieve back the file contents of the orig fs1 (now fs1a) if I am to mount back fs1a to its original /fs1 mount point (assuming no other fs1 on the system)?

TIA,

yes, the four steps you descibe will work, after unmounting the other fs1 (originally called fs2).

You may have considered this, but it might be safer to:
unmount /fs1
remount fs1 at /fs1_old
unmount /fs2
remount fs2 at /fs1
then do the copy.

When you copy prior to the mount changes you risk a change in the original filesystem after the copy is completed, but before the renaming.

gg

I normally user cplv on th eunmounted vg so the data in sync

Thanks to you ggauthier and plamb. The reason I am doing this is bcoz the old logical volume consume a lot of disk space, but the actual consumption has reached only 45% in 3.5 years. Secondly, I want to move this lv to a single PV then utilize the other PV for mirroring (/fs1 is resides across the 2 same size PVs in vg1).

Plamb's suggestion is good, but in my case where the temporary disk to be used has smaller capacity (4.5GB against 9.1GB), cplv is not an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back