Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

renaming folder from db objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

egr4wig

MIS
Jun 14, 2012
US
Hi all,

Any help would be greatly appreciated, but I am trying to rename a folder using a couple of DB object variables and I'm having a tough go at it. I have tried to convert the objects to strings, but have found out that that doesn't really work.

My object variables are:
Dim Value1: Set Value1 = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
Dim Value2: Set Value2 = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
Set Value1 = connection.Execute("SELECT MAX(RUN_NUMBER)...")
Set Value2 = connection.Execute("SELECT RUN_CLIENTID...")

My object folder is the newest folder in:
Dim objFolder: Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder("C:\Program Files\Doc_Finder\Docs")

I find the newest with the following:
For Each objFolder in colFolders
If objFolder.DateCreated > dDate Then
dDate = objFolder.DateCreated
strNewestFolder = objFolder
End If
Next

WScript.Echo strNewestFolder

and finally I'm trying to rename the newest folder with the following statement:
fso.MoveFile objFolder & "\" & strNewestFolder, objFolder & "\" & "CE_" & Value2 & "_" & Value1 & "_PROD_ATTACHMENTS"

As you can imagine I am getting a 'Type mismatch error' code: 800A000D

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
egr4wig

I'm not able to test, so I don't know that all the code below is correct, but this should at least get you towards working code

Code:
Dim rs, Value1, Value2
Set rs = connection.Execute("SELECT MAX(RUN_NUMBER)...")
Value1 = rs("field_name")

Set rs = connection.Execute("SELECT RUN_CLIENTID...")
Value2 = rs("field_name")

[green]'replace "field_name" with the correct field you want from in the query[/green]

Dim objFSO
Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Dim objFolder, objSubFolder
Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder("C:\Program Files\Doc_Finder\Docs")

For Each objSubFolder in objFolder.Subfolders
   If objSubFolder.DateCreated > dDate Then
      dDate = objSubFolder.DateCreated
      strNewestFolder = objSubFolder.Path
   End If
Next

And to rename the folder, I believe this will work:
Code:
objFSO.GetFolder(strNewestFolder).Name = "CE_" & Value2 & "_" & Value1 & "_PROD_ATTACHMENTS"

Thanks for the help guitarzan. It was throwing some errors while trying to write to a log so I just too that part out.
Thanks again!

Hi guitarzan,

I was hoping you'd be able to help me with one more thing. I am trying to zip the folder, but I'm getting an ActiveX component error with the code:

'Zip the folder
Dim FolderToZip
Set FolderToZip = CreateObject("N:\Client\Doc_Extractor\Docs\" & "CE_" & Value2 & "_" & Value1 & "_PROD_ATTACHMENTS")
Dim zipFile
Set zipFile = CreateObject("N:\Client\Doc_Extractor\Docs\" & "CE_" & Value2 & "_" & Value1 & "_PROD_ATTACHMENTS.zip")

'Dim sa:
set sa=CreateObject("Shell.Application")
'Dim zip:
Set zip=sa.NameSpace(zipFile)
'Dim Fol:
Set Fol=sa.NameSpace(FolderToZip)
zip.CopyHere(Fol.Items)
WScript.Sleep 2000 ' increase this if the folder is large

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replace this:
Set FolderToZip = CreateObject("N:\Client\Doc_Extractor\Docs\" & "CE_" & Value2 & "_" & Value1 & "_PROD_ATTACHMENTS")
Set zipFile = CreateObject("N:\Client\Doc_Extractor\Docs\" & "CE_" & Value2 & "_" & Value1 & "_PROD_ATTACHMENTS.zip")
with this:
FolderToZip = "N:\Client\Doc_Extractor\Docs\" & "CE_" & Value2 & "_" & Value1 & "_PROD_ATTACHMENTS"
zipFile = FolderToZip & ".zip"

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Hi PHV,

I'm getting a error from the zip.CopyHere(Fol.Items) line stating:
Object required
Code 800A01A8

Any ideas?

I'd try this:
zip.CopyHere Fol.Items
or this:
Call zip.CopyHere(Fol.Items)

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Mmmm, neither of those seem to produce a different result. Still getting the object required error. Would there be any other methods I should try?

Does the zip file exists prior this ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

I am trying to zip a folder, but yes the variable 'zipFile' is declared before hand. I have commented out the set statement as per previous instructions:

Code:
'Zip the folder
Dim FolderToZip
'Set FolderToZip = CreateObject("N:\Alternative_Service_Concepts\Doc_Extractor\Docs\" & "CE_" & Value2 & "_" & Value1 & "_PROD_ATTACHMENTS")
FolderToZip = "N:\Alternative_Service_Concepts\Doc_Extractor\Docs\" & "CE_" & Value2 & "_" & Value1 & "_PROD_ATTACHMENTS" & ".zip"
Dim zipFile
'Set zipFile = CreateObject("N:\Alternative_Service_Concepts\Doc_Extractor\Docs\" & "CE_" & Value2 & "_" & Value1 & "_PROD_ATTACHMENTS.zip")

Dim sa: 
set sa=CreateObject("Shell.Application")
Dim zip: 
Dim Fol: 
Set Fol=sa.NameSpace(FolderToZip)
'zip.CopyHere(Fol.Items)
'zip.CopyHere Fol.Items
Call zip.CopyHere(Fol.Items) 
'zip.CopyHere("Fol")

Thanks for your continued help! I really do appreciate it.

egr4wig:
It looks like you didn't implement PHV's advice earlier (to properly assign values to FolderToZip and zipFile). But in addition, some searches indicate that creating a zip file natively requires more steps than you are doing.

If you still have troubles, check this thread; includes some ideas to zip files natively in vbscript as well as mentioning 7Zip, a free program that may work better for you.
thread329-1532406

Have a look here:
thread329-1231429

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back