Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Renaming eWays and BOBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geates

Programmer
Aug 25, 2009
US
The people that held my position prior to me didn't care about how the eWays and BOBs were named. Several of them don't reflect their function. Renaming them is easy but seems ignorant. Are there any adverse effects that I could expect from renaming them?

-Geates

"I hope I can feel and see the change - stop the bleed inside a feel again. Cut the chain of lies you've been feeding my veins; I've got nothing to say to you!"
-Infected Mushroom

"I do not offer answers, only considerations."
- Geates's Disclaimer

You need to be aware of what will happen after you re-name the components.

In our implementation, the name of the component creates a journal of the processed messages. A change on the name would mean that the name of output journal file would be different.

In itself, the name displayed is a label. The files are internally identified by the application.

Also, as part of the eway name, you have the ETD files. If developed following a naming convention, it's likely that the these files will also contain names that are irrelevant to the function.

With that, consider the following:

To do a clean up all the way, change the name of the component and ETDs. This will take more work, but the names (ETDs and eWays) will make sense.

If you only change the name of the component, be aware and document the changes with a reference to the component name and the ETD files.

As always:
1) Create a full export before making any changes.
2) Test your changes in a NON-Production environment.

Good luck!

rxp.

Thanks for your replay. I'll consider your points when the time comes to rename.

-Geates

"I hope I can chill and see the change - stop the bleed inside and feel again. Cut the chain of lies you've been feeding my veins; I've got nothing to say to you!"
-Infected Mushroom

"I do not offer answers, only considerations."
- Geates's Disclaimer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back