Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RENAMING DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

bweitz

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2002
CA
Hello,

I have ONLY one Windows 2000 domain controller. I need to change the name of it, but I don't want to reinstall Windows. I have logon scripts set up and users are also set up. How can I change the name of the server?
And what will be the impact on my user?
Can i only reun dcpromo, change the name of the serveur and recreat the domain?
What about my user's? they could be some trouble to log to the new domain even if it's the same name?
thnk for your help

From previous experiance I would strongly advise not to change the name of a DC. I tried this once years ago with a faulty BDC that needed replacing and everything ended up in a right mess! 2000 may be more capable of handling a name change than NT but I wouldn't want to risk it especially if its your only DC. The original machine name is embedded in so many areas of the registry that simply renaming the server does not update all these entries. If I was you I would alter the scripts to point to the exisiting name.

Hope this helps, Glenn
BEng A+ MCSE CCA

As SelbyGlenn pointed out, there can be complications involved in renaming a DC, so I wouldn't do it unless you absolutely have to. But, if you have to, here's how:

You don't want to just demote a server, rename it, and then re-create the domain and the users. Even if they have the same userid and password, they'll have different SIDs (security identifiers). Windows actually uses SIDs and not usernames to place permissions on items, so ALL of your old permissions would be lost if you did that.

Bring another DC online in your domian. Run dcpromo on your first DC to make it a member server. Rename the server. Run dcpromo to make it a domain controller again. Run dcpromo on your temporary dc to make it a member server.

It is important to do it in that order so that your FSMO roles get transferred. Marc Creviere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back