Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Renaming a folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

developer155

Programmer
Jan 21, 2004
US
I am looking for a way to rename a folder in a given directory using VB. So if I have C:\folder\folder\foldertorename I need to make it
C:\folder\folder\renamedfolder

Can I get a hint on where to look for my answer

thanks

Try this:
[tt]

Name "C:\folder\folder\foldertorename" As "C:\folder\folder\renamedfolder"
[/tt]

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

OK, are there any objects I need to declare to do this?

thanks

I am not sure how to use what u suggested. I declared an object of FileSytemObject class. I see methods that copy from folder to folder, but I do not see anything that renames a folder. Something like
Name "C:\folder\folder\foldertorename" As "C:\folder\folder\renamedfolder"

will give an error. Any ideas?

thanks

Name works for me without any extra references, are you sure you have a folder at the location your trying to rename?
if you dont have a folder at "C:\folder\folder\foldertorename" (the path you are using) tehn Name will return a file not found error (53).

The Name statement is a native VB statement and requires no declarations. Check VBHelp for details. You do not need the FileSystemObject to use Name.

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back