Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rename tape? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFinn

MIS
Aug 28, 2003
GB
Hi,

is it possible to rename a tape without erasing or formatting it? I have a month-end tape series, but with meaningless names. If I have to restore from these later in the year I'll have a hard time finding the sessions.

BF

You're gonna neeed to use a physical label to do it. There is no way to rename the tape, without formatting it.

Unless you have two tape drives, then you can use tapecopy.exe with the append option.

Much Obliged,

thank you both. The two-drives tip is just the kind of thing you learn with experience; shame I only have one to work with!

I'll name the as yet unused tapes in the set to correspond with their monthly paper labels; the already used ones with meaningless volume names I will write the volume name under the monthly label to have some help looking for the right session.

Adding definite dates when the backup was taken will be a good thing too!

All I need to look out for now is database corruption...

Thanks

BF

BigFinn,

If you are using Arcserve 2000 or Arcserve 9.0 then you will be able to do backup to file system and to do this you need to run Device configuration and create a File Ssytem tape drive which has enougth space to occupy your tape size and then use tapecopy.exe command to copy it from your tape drive to file system and then copy it again using tapecopy.exe command from File syatem to new tape or even the same tape and give it another name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back