Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rename Group Policy with Win 7 RSET - Need verification 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PScottC

MIS
Mar 16, 2003
US
I am getting an odd behavior on my Win7 client... When I try to rename an existing GPO using the GP Management MMC, the system interprets a lower case "t" as a refresh command. All other letters and upper case "T" work. Rename from any other OS has no issue.

Can anyone replicate this issue?

Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit
RSAT Installer: amd64fre_GRMRSATX_MSU.msu

PSC
[—] CCNP [•] CCSP [•] MCITP: Enterprise Admin [•] MCSE [—]

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

You might be better off in the Server Forum with a question like this?

I supposed you have checked for a faulty Keyboard as a matter of course? Have you tried using the On Screen Keyboard and Mouse? Speaking of Keyboards and Mouse, are they Wireless, with batteries, or USB or PS2?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software?

There appear to be a few rules to follow when first installing it.

Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7

How does the "t" appear when typed in Notepad etc, was the same machine used when you posted (typed) this question?

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

No issues in any other applications. In fact I don't have this issue in any other MMC module. It is only under this specific condition. RSAT was installed per MS recommendations. I'll try the OSK tomorrow and post results.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Similar failure occurs with on-screen keyboard.

Can anyone verify my results / experience?

PSC

I can't find anyone on Google that can verify it for what that is worth.

Does that RSAT still function from Safe Mode thereby allowing you to test in "Safe Mode with Networking"?

Is a program like this able to show you what might be happening behind the scenes?

Process Monitor v2.8

Is any Refresh using "t" instant or is there a lag in time? Can you reproduce the "Refresh" with any other letter, numeral, or key that is on your Keyboard?

Is there any official "Refresh" Menu Item in what you are looking at in MMC and does that work as expected?

As stated in my earlier post, all other keys work normally, including "Shift-t". I can't replicate this behavior in any other MMC snap-in or application.

"Refresh" is an approximation of the behavior. Hitting F5 or ESC during the rename operation will produce the same behavior.

I can only assume that the correct hex sequence is being transmitted to the application, because I get the same behavior with the OSK.

I'm just looking for someone who can replicate the issue before I open a bug report with MS.

PSC

You have saved my sanity. i get this issue as well, Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Everything works fine except a lowercase 't' cant be used. I have also noticed the 'BackSpace' doesn't work but the 'Delete' key does. And the arrow keys for going back and forth through the letters doesnt work but CTRL+arrow will jump words - as expected.

That doesn't seem to impact the problem. Thank you Boyeee for actually confirming the behavior instead of offering untested solutions. 

I have tried reinstalling the tool with no effect. As stated above, I had this issue with Windows 7 beta also.

In general the keys have worked normally for at least part of the session. Once I start having problems I lose my arrow, backspace, and hyphen keys. The functionality loss is only in the MMC and functionality is restored when I restart the console.

The problems usually start when I attempt to rename a GPO. My workaround has been to do all my renaming on a server where the problem doesn't exist.

PSC
[—] CCNP (R&S/Wireless) [•] CCSP [•] MCITP: Enterprise Admin [•] MCSE [—]

I have this issue as well. I'm using Windows 7 Professional x64. Please post back if either of you find a solution as I'll do the same. Thanks.

All our HP 8710w laptops running windows 7 x86 have this problem with the GMPC snapin. The problem is exactly as described where you cannot use a lowercase t, the arrow keys, or backspace. The letter t will visually act like hitting an f5 refresh and kick out out of the edit. Backspace and arrow keys are useless. I've been typing the gp name into notepad and the pasting it in the GPMC which does work. Hopefully there will be a new RSAT version soon.

Apparently, this happens when you have the Settings-tab in Group Policy Management Console open. If you click on any other tab the problem disappears.

pisboi nailed it... if I change the tab to anything other than Settings, the lowercase t and backspace work fine for me. Thanks!

I contacted Microsoft about this issue, and they say it is a known bug that will not be fixed for Windows 7 (and Server 2008 R2 ?). It is being reviewed for a fix in Windows 8.

So we'll just have to live with it for now.

A star to you for taking the extra step there.

PSC
[—] CCNP[sub][blue]x3[/blue][/sub] (Security/R&S/Wireless) [•] MCITP: Enterprise Admin [•] MCSE [—]

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --from "Hackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back