Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rename files, But no 301 Redirects, What is the Best way to do this? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

IEAN

Programmer
Sep 13, 2003
US
We have created a new set of pages to replace the old set currently existing on our site. We would like to change the file directory name, file name of the pages too. Generally what normally should be done is to set a 301 server redirect to direct the old pages to the new, but the problems is, my hosting company says they cannot set the redirect because the old urls have "_" in them. I wouldn't want to put a regular html redirect in them since they may hurt my exsiting rankings(right?). I wouldn't want to put a static link for my customers to click on everytime they come upon an old page either. Any ideas on what I should do? Please advise, thanks!

ASP pages can be built to return any status code you want. It's a little more of a pain then setting in the webserver since you would have to create a page for each one your replacing, but it would allow you to post 301's.

Check this link out, it has examples and such:
-T

signature.png

the hosting company is talking BS (as usual with too many of them). I'd suggest finding one that has a clue!!!!!
More likely they mean "it's too much for us to bother with" or "We don't know how that's done"

Redirecting with the 404 page (code in my last post (#10) )

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Thanks Tarwn, Thanks Chris for your help! Yep, I know my hosting company is talkin BS, but what can I do? They just don't care. Too bad I signed up for a yearly plan, so I can't just leave. Anyways, thank yous to you guy's help, the problem has been recitified, thanks again! [thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back