Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rename domain for website

Status
Not open for further replies.

tektipsfm

IS-IT--Management
Jan 17, 2007
GB
Hi all
I hope you can help me with this, I use windows 2003 server DNS and IIS for the website

We have a website and we also have a website called both are hosted on the same server, same IP address. When someone goes to it takes them to the defualt website but when someone goes to it takes them to a sub-website under company1.com. This is all fine but we dont want end users to know that company1 and company2 are related and the way they are finding this out at the moment is when this hover over hyperlinks on our company2 website they can see that they are going to How do I make them seperate and on related. I really dont want to build another iis server but if that is what I have to do then please do let me know. Thank you for you help.

What you just described is the differnce between a Website and a virtual directory. If you do not want the end users to see website1 in the url, you would migrate the virtual directory to its own web-site.
How to do this:
Create a new web-site in IIS called website2. Point the home directory to the directory on your server that is hosting the webfiles. In DNS create a new CNAME for website1 and website2 and point them to your IIS server. Because you are now hosting two web-sites on a webserver that has one IP address, you will need to set up host headers. From the Web Site tab of the properties on both the defualt(website1) and website2, click the Advanced button and set up the host header with their respective website names that you created in DNS.
When a user types in the url for website1 - say mycompyanywebsite1.com, the IIS server will use the host header to send the request to the appropriate web-site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back