Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rename Distribution Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

padkinson

Technical User
Apr 2, 2002
US
My organization has decided to rename some of our distribution groups. I was thinking that this shouldn’t be big deal. I only have to change a handful of groups. We are running Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003. I open AD Users and Computers, find the groups. Right click them (one at a time), then click rename. After that I open the properties and rename the alias and display names and I am done, right? Not quite. After all that, I open a new message in Outlook, click the To…button to look in the Global address list and the old name appears instead of the new one. The new name is not there only the old one.

So, my questions to you are: Why are the old names there? and What did I miss?

Thanks for the help.

open up ADSI on you AD server and see what the value of the mailboxName property is.

if that is correct check out perhaps msExchADCGlobalNames

You may have to change it there.

open up ADSI editor on the AD machine. check out the properties page of the distribution group. check out these values:

mailNickname
msExchADCGlobalNames

Try restarting Outlook - you maybe using an old GAL cache?

Thanks for the help. It appears that I was not patience enough for the changes to take affect. When I got in this morning, everything seems to be named correctly.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back