Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rename Administrator Account

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightcheck

Technical User
Jan 27, 2008
US
To enhance our security we are considering that we rename
the Administrator Account in SBS 2003

After a lot of Googling (as well as reading Microsoft's instructions) - it seems pretty easy and straight forward.

We were just going to do it ourselves (We're just a small 8 person Company and don't have an on site IT person) but decided to let the IT Company we use know what we wanted to do

They agree it is a good idea but that they should do it because in their words "There are many services that run as Administrator on the server and they need
to be changed as well". In every article (including Microsoft's) - I read nothing about having to change Services also.

Is there more to it than meets the eye i.e, changing a bunch of Admin. Services or is it possible all the articles are correct and our IT Co. is being a bit disingenuous?

Thanks so much in advance..

Rick

I would bet that the IT Company is wanting to get in there to control the change. Personally, I would see it taking less than 90 seconds, but they may know more about your setup than we do. If all you are running is SBS 2003, then the change should not be a big deal.

It is not that big of a deal, but I do know where the IT Company is coming from. If you have 3rd party software installed especially BackupExec and maybe others, those services that get installed tie themselves to the Administrator account to startup; however, it's no big deal in going to the services tab and looking what services are using the administrator account to "Log On As". It will either show "Local System", "Network Service", or it will be using the administrator account (ie...domain\administrator) and in that case just double click the service and on the "log on" tab change to a user that has enough access to the server for the service to run properly, usually an administrator of course. Stop and start the service to make sure it starts ok with the new user and you should be good to go.

Hope I could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back